Friday, October 23, 2015

October 22- Baltimore poem

We read chapters 20-22.

We also read the following poem and answered questions about it.

Read the following poem and answer the questions to the best of your ability. Keep in mind all of the issues we have been discussing while reading To Kill a Mockingbird.


Incident
Countee Cullen
Once riding in old Baltimore,
    Heart-filled, head-filled with glee,
I saw a Baltimorean
    Keep looking straight at me.
Now I was eight and very small,
    And he was no whit bigger,
And so I smiled, but he poked out
    His tongue, and called me, "Nigger."
I saw the whole of Baltimore
    From May until December;
Of all the things that happened there
    That's all that I remember.


1. What is your interpretation of the poem?





2. What message or lesson does the author want you to take away from having read this?








3. How does this poem relate to our reading of To Kill a Mockingbird?

No comments:

Post a Comment